Recently a good friend in California was getting married and I offered to through a bridal tea for her the day before…from Texas. Not only did I have to secure a venue and get invitations ready, plan the games, prizes and favors but everything had to fit in a suitcase, get checked and arrive intact.
So in the first of several posts, I introduce one of the favorite prizes at the tea: Sugar Cookies in a Cone!
This idea came from the cocoa in a cone we did several years ago as Christmas gifts for my husband’s job. The recipe, with a small adjustment, came from this great blog at Cake Whiz.
10 – 6 in. x 12 in. clear cello cones (Mine came from One Stop Cello Shop)
10 cups of flour
3 1/3 cups of sugar
1 ¼ tsp. salt
1 ¼ tsp. baking powder
Mini rubber bands (like the ones used for hair)
Ribbons, raffia or tulle
10 cookie cutters (optional)
10 recipe cards (See below)
- Put flour, baking powder and salt into a bowl. Mix well.
- Spoon roughly 1 cup of mix in each of the cones.
- Add sprinkles in a thin layer over flour mixture.
- Add 1/3 cup of sugar on top of the sprinkles.
- Tie top of the cone with a rubber band.
- Attach recipe card and cookie cutter with ribbon or tulle.
Sugar Cookies in a Cone
Add ¼ cup of butter, ½ tbsp. vanilla extract, 1 tbsp. sour cream, and 1 egg yolk.
1. In a large bowl, pour the sugar into a large bowl (to the sprinkles). Cream sugar and butter together until light and fluffy. Add egg yolk, vanilla and sour cream and mix well.
2. Add the rest of the cone and beat until crumbly. Using your hands, mix dough into a ball.
3. Roll out and use cookie cutter. Bake on a greased cookie sheet for 7-11 minutes at 350 degrees.