I love Thanksgiving! Family, Turkey Trots, Cranberries, Turkey, Pumpkin Pie and Football. What more could one want?
Appetizers are key in our house. We tend to eat in stages…starts with kolaches for breakfast followed by a run. Then the turkey goes in the oven with all the other usual fixins. But what I look forward to is the snacks about 2 hours into turkey baking. Veggies, cheese, crackers and pickled beets. Yes pickled beets and okra are big in our house. My sister’s favorite thing is cranberry sauce. I prefer to make my own but usually we have WAY too much. This great adult appetizer is perfect for sneaking in a little more cranberry in everyone’s day!
The farmer’s market is the inspiration and where most of the ingredients for this appetizer is from. The base of the spread is a local Austin goat cheese from Pure Luck called chevre but really could be any soft cheese.
The bread is a simple baguette from Sweetish Hill Bakery brushed with a little olive oil and toasted in the oven.
The fun part is the toppings. Cranberry sauce, orange zest, almonds, dried cranberries, honey and sunflower sprouts are just some of the great toppings I played with but really most things would be tasty and festive.
- 5-6 oz. soft cheese (used Pure Luck Goat Chevre)
- 2 tsp. cranberry sauce
- Pinch of orange zest
- Baguette, sliced
- Olive Oil, for brushing
- Toppings: sliced almonds, dried cranberries, cranberry sauce, sunflower sprouts (optional)
- Honey (optional)
- Mix cheese, cranberry sauce and orange zest in a medium bowl and stir until completely mixed. The cheese should turn pink.
- Brush olive oil on the sliced bread and toast for 1-2 minutes in the oven (350 degrees). Want to just crisp the bread slightly.
- Spread about a tsp. of cheese onto each piece of bread.
- Top with a dollop of cranberry sauce or some sliced almonds or dried cranberries.
- Drizzle with honey and top with the top of a sprout.