Kale is such a great super food. Unfortunately many people don’t like the way it tastes or don’t know what to do with it. This salad is great. It’s easy, can be made a few hours in advance and the lemony taste transitions from winter to spring nicely.
My favorite kale comes from Bernhardt’s farm. They do a great mix with several varieties and can be found at the Cedar Park Farmer’s Market on Saturday mornings. Kale is a winter leafy green so here soon it’ll be harder to find. Good news around here in Texas, the winter greens are available for close to 6 months.
This recipe uses fresh lemons, olive oil and honey to create an easy, tasty dressing.The best way to enjoy this salad is to make it about 2 hours before you eat though it can be made and eaten immediately or the night before. The kale has such great texture that it won’t get soggy with dressing on it overnight.
- 1 bunch or bag of kale, mixed varieties
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1 tsp. honey
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- ¼ cup olive oil
- Dash of white pepper
- Handful of sliced almonds
- Chop kale into small, bite sized pieces.
- Make dressing by mixing lemon, garlic, honey, olive oil and pepper in a small bowl.
- Pour dressing over the kale and mix with your hands.
- Place salad in the fridge for 2 hours or serve immediately. (Waiting allows for softer kale and better flavor)