Welcome to the first week of the H-E-B and ConAgra Meal Maker Challenge! This 5 week virtual blogger challenge will be done Iron Chef style with a featured ingredient, limited time and judging…by you! To vote go to H-E-B Meals. By participating, there’s an opportunity for you to win too!
Week 1 features the H-E-B Cantina salsa. I love salsa so the opportunity to try a new one was exciting. There are several varieties, they come in a glass jar and cost $3 a piece. I couldn’t decide so I bought two different ones, Smoky Citrus and Roasted. Both were nice but are a bit spicy so beware.
I know not what you typically think of as a dish with salsa but let me tell you, it’s perfect! The idea was born out of a couples cooking class we took for my 29th birthday this year. Cooking on my birthday, must be a blogger thing! Living Social hosted the event which was BYOB (always good) and had several ladies from a local food truck. We made appetizers on a chip, salad with fabulous cilantro dressing, Mexican lasagna for 2 and banana custard. Let me tell you it was fabulous. Now this recipe is a bit different from what we had but the initial experience was so surprising and fabulous that I had to make it again. When the salsa came up as one of the ingredients, I knew what I was going to do…
Voila! Mexican Lasagna that’s perfect for the weeknight and great as leftovers. Enjoy!
9 lasagna noodles, par boiled
1 lb. chorizo
1 can refried black beans, used Central Market Organic Refried Black Beans with Roasted Red Jalapeno Peppers
1 ½ jars H-E-B Cantina Salsa
1 – 8 oz. package shredded cheese, used Mexican Blend
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Cook chorizo for about 5 minutes in a skillet. Remove meat and add refried beans and a ¼ cup of water. Stir until completely incorporated. Or to make life easier, add beans to meat and stir together.
- Spray a 9 x 13 pan with Pam.
- Add a few tbsp. of salsa into bottom. Spread evenly and then cover with 3 lasagna noodles.
- Add a layer of beans followed by a layer of chorizo, salsa and then cheese.
- Add noodles on top, any remaining chorizo then cover in salsa and sprinkle with cheese.
- Cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes. Remove foil for last 5 minutes to brown cheese.
Active time – 20 minutes
Cook time – 30 minutes
**HEB and Con-Agra has provided compensation for this post. All opinions, recipes and photos are my own.