Ceviche is the perfect summer salad. Is it a salad or a dip or an appetizer? I don’t know but it’s one of my favorites. When Mr. RWB and I were in Vegas one time we found the most amazing restaurant and it doesn’t break the bank. Firefly is a tapas restaurant, no not topless, that serves dishes in small plates meant for sharing. Which means you can try like half the menu, wash it down with a pitcher of mojitos and leave for under $75. If you ever go to Vegas I highly recommend it. It’s off the strip but totally worth the cab ride.
Traditionally ceviche is made by ‘cooking’ fish in a citrus marinade. Personally, ‘marinated shrimp’ is a little scary to me but I’m totally fine with marinated fish. So this dish has cooked shrimp that’s then marinated in citrus juice. Best of both worlds!
½ lb. of shrimp, peeled and deveined
1 tsp. olive oil
½ red bell pepper, diced
½ yellow bell pepper, diced
1 medium tomato, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
½ cucumber, skin removed and diced
½ avocado, peeled and diced
Handful of cilantro, shredded
1 orange, juiced
1 lemon, juiced
1 lime, juiced
- In a small pan over medium high heat, add olive oil and shrimp and saute for 3 – 5 minutes or until shrimp are pink. Let cool.
- In a medium bowl add all veggies except avocado and stir.
- Add cilantro and citrus juice and stir until coated.
- Add avocado and mix gently. Stirring too much will cause the avocado to get mushy.
- Place in the fridge for 30 minutes or longer for the flavors to meld. (I usually just eat right away but it’s better if it sits a while.)
- Serve with tortilla chips or a spoon!