So after I finished making the Patriotic Crunch (my take on the Leprechaun Crunch at Run, Bake, Live), I began to think “what a cop out!” Here’s a blog that’s all about baking and what did I make…something that wasn’t baked! I always like the idea of baking cookies but it’s so much work, beating the eggs and sifting the flour then rolling out the cookies and having to go back every 10-12 minutes to check on them. Once that pan of cookies are done, making another cookie sheet, waiting 10-12 minutes then back again. I seriously forget sometimes and end up with burnt cookies or get bored and have half the cookie dough left over.
So which of the 45 cookie recipes did I try…brown sugar shortbread (it only has 3 ingredients). I know it’s not much but it’s something! For more info on the fabulous Heather and her blog Bake, Run, Live, check out Patriotic Crunch. I loved this recipe because I had all the ingredients, there are no eggs and there are only 3 ingredients – butter, brown sugar and flour. Next time I think I might add some vanilla…and rosemary!
Brown Sugar Shortbread Cookies (from Bake, Run, Live)
2 sticks of butter (used salted), softened
½ cup light brown sugar (what I had)
2 ¼ cups flour (unsifted!)
- Pre-heat oven to 300 degrees and grease a cookie sheet.
- Beat butter and sugar together for 3 – 5 minutes or until creamy.
- Gradually add in flour. Add the last ¼ cup and mix by hand. Then knead into a ball, at least 1 minute.
- Roll out or flatten by hand on the cookies sheet and use a cookie cutter to cut shapes. Remove excess dough, sprinkle with sugar and add candy center.
- Bake at 300 for 20 minutes or until bottoms are lightly brown.
- Allow to cool on cookie sheet for 5 minutes. Add chocolate or just enjoy!
Want to join in the fun? Sign up at Hungry Little Girl‘s Blog!