Facebook always surprises me. I post beautiful photos of amazing food and no pays it any mind. Then there are days, like today, when I post an iPhone pic of egg casserole…everyone goes nuts! I gave a quickie description but decided to give it a proper place.
I made this casserole to use up some eggs and veggies that were on the verge of going bad. After a disappointing performance at the half this weekend, I’m putting more focus on eating better and exercising more. The only problem is that things that are good for you often leave you hungry and grouchy if you wait too long between snacks. Eggs are perfect as they are low in calories, high in protein and help fill you up.
What’s even better is this only takes 2 pans; one for cooking and one baking.
1/4 lb. Chorizo
1/4 onion, chopped
1 – 2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 bell pepper, diced (used 1/2 red and 1/2 green)
1 serrano, diced (optional)
8 – 12 eggs
2 tbsp. Half & Half
Handful of spinach
1/3 cup of shredded cheese
Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Pre-heat oven to 400 degrees. In a small pan, saute chorizo over medium high heat.
2. Once sausage is cooked, add onion, garlic and peppers. Saute for 5 minutes or until veggies are soft.
3. Spray oven safe pan with non stick and crack eggs into pan. Using a fork, lightly scramble the eggs.
4. Add half and half, salt and pepper, spinach, veggies and meat.
5. Add cheese and stir lightly.
6. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes or until eggs are firm.