3rd place winner of the Capital Confections Angel Food Cake Tasting Competition!
Yes that’s right this food blogger entered a competition with actual pastries chef AND placed! A fellow AFBA member was on the panel and said it was so good she had to call her mom to tell her about it! Near perfect scores! I was so excited! If only they had liked the others as well as this one….oh well, there’s always next time.
So this recipe idea came to me early when I was researching interesting flavor combinations. This past spring I did a women’s race at a lavender farm and tried a lavender margarita. It was so amazing! (We bought a bottle of the mix.) Since that time I’ve been looking for ways to incorporate lavender that didn’t invoke too big an eyebrow raise. So I thought what about lavender and blueberries, both delicate yet strong flavors that wouldn’t compete with each other. Can’t wait to make this one again!
1 ½ cups egg whites, room temperature
1 ½ tsp. cream of tartar
1 cup sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
½ tsp. salt
1 ½ cup powdered sugar
1 cup cake flower
1 tbsp. lavender, dried
1 cup blueberries, small
- Heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large bowl of a stand mixer with a whisk attachment, beat egg whites and cream of tartar until foamy. Change speed to high and add 1 cup of sugar, 2 tbsp. at a time, vanilla and salt. Beat until stiff meringue forms.
- While the eggs are beating, sift powdered sugar and flour together. Send lavender through the sifter discarding any hard pieces.
- Once meringue is done, gently fold in flour mixture a ½ cup at a time until about 1 cup is left. Pour in blueberries and top with remaining flour mixture. Stir until completely incorporated.
- Carefully spoon batter into an ungreased tube pan and bake for 30 – 40 minutes or until the cake cracks and feels springy.
- After removing from the oven, immediately invert on a full bottle of wine (pictured: Flat Creek Estate Blanco Brio 2001 – amazing!) and allow cake to cool for 60 – 90 minutes. Run a knife around the edges and remove from pan.
- Top with whipped cream and/or blueberries and enjoy!