I used to hate breakfast. Not like a little but like totally. So maybe I should explain. I used to be allergic to eggs, milk, wheat, nuts (lived on meat, veggies and fruit)… so I’m still allergic to nuts and don’t love bread but skim milk and the occasional eggs for breakfast are in! I’m kind of a snob now though. If I’m going to have eggs, they need to be good so usually an omelet with lots of veggies or a taquito from Whataburger. Yes it’s that good! McDonald’s on the other hand does not usually top the list. However, on a business trip, I was left no other option so I tried out their infamous (better for you) McMuffin. It was good enough but I don’t really care for American cheese and the eggs…well they didn’t look fresh. So I set out to recreate this breakfast classic in a way I’d love eating. (Veggies and cheddar cheese). Introducing the RWB Egg McFuffin!
100 cal Thomas’ Light English Muffin
1 tbsp. onion, diced
½ clove of garlic, minced
1 slice of red bell pepper
1 slice of green bell pepper
1 slice of aged cheddar cheese
1 tsp. olive oil
Salt and Pepper
1 tsp. butter
- Add olive oil, onion, garlic and peppers to skillet over medium heat and sauté for 3 – 5 minutes or until tender.
- Scramble eggs slightly in a bowl and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add eggs to veggies and cook (like scrambled eggs) until done no more than 4 – 5 minutes.
- While eggs are cooking butter top of English muffin.
- Add eggs to bottom, cover with cheese and place on a cookie sheet with top butter side up.
- Add cheese to eggs, turn on broiler and place in oven. Heat for 3 minutes or until cheese is fully melted.
- Place top on and enjoy!