Sometimes it takes a lot of time and effort to come up with amazing, other times you just have to figure out how to get rid of the leftover Christmas ham. This was the latter. I’m not a big ham person but Honeybaked does a pretty good job. I mean who doesn’t like things covered in honey and brown sugar caramelized with a blowtorch. It was good but we’d had enough! I hate wasting things so I had to come up with something. After searching the internet and finding mostly things that involve cream of whatever soup (I only allow that for green bean casserole), I went looking in the cabinet. On the shelf was a freebee of microwave mac and cheese – LIGHTBULB! (Despicable Me is just too cute!)
Grabbed the ham, some quinoa elbow noodles, Velveeta (always have some on hand), some veggies and a little shredded cheese. Voila! Dinner and it was brilliant, easy and quick!
Big handful or two of diced ham (whatever you have left)
½ box of quinoa elbow noodles
2 tbsp. of olive oil
4 oz. Velveeta cheese
¼ onion, diced
1 – 2 cloves of garlic, minced
¼ red bell pepper, diced
¼ green bell pepper, diced
1 green onion, whites and tops sliced
Handful of shredded cheese like cheddar, mozzarella, Colby jack
- Make noodles per instructions, drain well. Chop ham into small pieces.
- Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large non-stick skillet. Add veggies and sauté until soft about 3 – 5 minutes.
- Reduce heat to medium and add ham, stirring until well mixed and ham is warmed – about 3 minutes.
- Add noodles and stir well.
- Add Velveeta constantly stirring until fully melted.
- Turn off heat and add shredded cheese.
- Serve with green onions and enjoy!