My Grandmother has the best recipe for brisket. No this isn’t it. Yes it takes forever and takes a good 12 hours to do properly. I don’t make it very often but my mom happened to make some for Christmas and I wanted to get one more meal before the rest went into the freezer. I love making barbeque sauces so why not try something new that I know Mr. RWB will like…he likes beef, he likes barbeque and he likes Jack Daniels…VOILA! Here in the south we call this chopped beef so grab a beer and get ready to enjoy this Texas specialty!
1 tbsp. olive oil (used Texas Mesquite)
½ onion, sliced
3 – 4 cloves of garlic minced
2/3 cup of Jack Daniels
1/3 cup of Worcestershire sauce
1/3 cup of apple cider vinegar
1/3 cup of honey
1 can of tomato paste
1 can of tomato sauce
1 tomato sauce can of water
2 tbsp. yellow mustard
3 dashes of hot sauce
Dash of cinnamon (yes cinnamon, it helps with flavor)
Dash of Salt
Dash of White Pepper
½ lb. of brisket
- Placed sliced onions, garlic and olive oil in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Saute for 3 minutes.
- Add the whiskey and let simmer for at least 10 minutes.
- Put all remaining ingredients except for the meat and bread in the pan and simmer for at least 10 minutes or until sauce thickens. Taste and adjust as necessary.
- Heat beef and then roughly chop.
- Add ½ – 2/3 cup of sauce to chopped beef and stir.
- Toast pretzel bread and serve with a lettuce leaf and additional sauce.