On our way home from a family funeral in Tulsa, Oklahoma we made a stop in West, Texas. This little Czech community situated on I-35 has the most amazing little bakery called The Czech Stop. The kolaches are the best and they have jalapeno cheese bread that is to die for…that bread provided the inspiration of today’s recipe. Initially I was going to make shredded barbeque chicken but added too much water to the sauce in the crock pot. So I ended up making slow cooked chicken sandwiches. Turned out pretty good, if I say so myself. The shredded hatch chili barbeque shredded chicken sandwiches will have to wait…til next time!
4 Boneless, skinless chicken breasts
½ medium onion, diced
½ green bell pepper, diced
½ red bell pepper, diced
1 hatch chili, diced
1 – 2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 can tomato sauce (used rotel)
2 tsp. red wine vinegar
1 tsp. mesquite olive oil
1 tsp. mustard
1 tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. honey
½ tsp. chili powder
2 cups of water
- Placed chopped veggies in the slow cooker.
- Cut chicken breasts into 3 pieces and place on veggies.
- Mix sauce in a medium bowl and season to taste.
- Pour sauce over chicken and turn slow cooker on high.
- Cook for at least 2 hours or until chicken is cooked through and slices easily.
- Slice chicken, cover with sauce and serve with veggies on jalapeno cheese bread. Enjoy!