I just love when good produce is on sale. My favorite is when it’s really on sale like $0.25 a mango. The only problem is that I go a little crazy – 8 red mangos and 6 alfanso mangos. Did I mention it’s just my husband and I at home? Anyway…after making mango pico, quinoa with bell peppers and mango (recipe to come) and eating several over the sink with my hands (they were juicy), the remaining few were getting to the end of their life.
So what’s a girl to do? Grab her Grandmother’s oatmeal cookie recipe and go to town of course! Here’s what I came up with: A traditional, soft oatmeal cookie with pieces of fresh mango and shredded coconut. SUCCESS!
¾ cup of shortening, soft
1 cup brown sugar
¾ cup granulated sugar
2 tsp. vanilla
1 cup flour, sifted
½ tsp. salt
1 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. baking powder
2 cups of oats, quick cook
2 cups of mango, diced
1 cup coconut, shredded + ¼ cup for topping
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees and spray cookie sheets with non-stick spray, oil or butter.
- In a large bowl, cream (beat with an electric mixer) brown sugar, granulated sugar and shortening together until fluffy, about 10 minutes.
- Add eggs and vanilla and beat well, about 5 minutes. (The mixture will get noticeably lighter.)
- Slowly add flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda together, mixing well.
- Stir in oats, mango and coconut until completely incorporated.
- Using a tbsp. of the cookie dough, roll into 1 inch balls. Place on a greased cookie sheet and top with remaining coconut.
- Bake at 350 for 10-12 minutes or until lightly browned.
- Cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!