4 months ago we moved to Austin, TX and I started a new job. 3 months ago we bought a house, 21st address in 6 years but that’s a different story. 2 months my project started working 55-70 hours a week. Needless to say with all these changes; work both in the office and at home and trying to prepare for a triathlon in August, easy and quick meals are a necessity.
This recipe is a twist on one a good friend gave me while living in Houston. Maybe it was because my ground turkey was frozen or perhaps because I was lazy, but this recipe is meatless. That’s right a no meat, no noodle cooking lasagna. It uses whole wheat pasta, canned spaghetti sauce and rosemary from the garden. It took about 20 minutes to put it together including time to take photos. The fridge does most of the work overnight and only takes 45 minutes from fridge to plate.
Some variations I’ve done in the past are homemade pasta sauce, ground meat, sautéed veggies like bell peppers, onions, zucchini, eggplant, and mushrooms. This recipe is so easy; it lends itself well to playing!
1 package of whole wheat lasagna noodles
28 oz. jar of spaghetti sauce
16 oz. container of part-skim ricotta cheese
3 cups of skim mozzarella cheese
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 sprig of fresh rosemary, or a pinch of dried rosemary
Several dashes of oregano
½ cup hot water
- Spray an 11×13 metal pan with non-stick spray.
- Stir the garlic, rosemary and oregano into the ricotta cheese.
- Place a thin layer of the sauce on the bottom of the pan.
- Add a single layer of lasagna noodles.
- Cover the noodles with half the ricotta mixture, it will be really thin. (It’s easier to spread with your fingers.)
- Spread 1/3 of the mozzarella on top of the ricotta.
- Cover cheese with a layer of sauce.
- Repeat steps 4-7.
- Place a 3rd single layer of noodles.
- Spread the remaining sauce on top of the noodles and finish off with the rest of the mozzarella cheese.
- Pour the ½ cup of hot water along the edges of the pan making sure the water gets down below.
- Cover tightly and refrigerate overnight.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes and the top is golden brown. Serve hot!