It’s after Christmas…I know. So I’m running behind a month.
Big whoop, wanna fight about it? Me either, I’d rather just talk cookies.
You know that go to, never fail cookies recipe?
Cake box cookies are mine. And quite possibly my all time favorites.
The reason I LOVE these cookies are that they require 3 ingredients, stay moist and chewy and are impossible to mess up, unless you bake them too long (8 minutes at 350 degrees, trust me). My grandmother always used to make them for us using a German Chocolate cake mix and white chocolate frosting. Well, the white chocolate frosting has disappeared from stores but this holiday season has presented a new flavor, peppermint! Add some crushed candy canes and voila! A Christmas twist on my favorite cookies.
1 cake box (any flavor will do but I recommend German chocolate)
1/3 cup of oil (olive or vegetable)
1 can of peppermint frosting
Splash of milk
1 or 2 candy canes, crushed
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium bowl place cake mix, eggs and oil. Stir until well mixed and dough looks wet. (The dough will be difficult to stir but don’t add additional liquid. Use hands if necessary.)
- Roll into 1” balls and place 2-3” apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
- Bake for 8 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove from oven and leave cookies on pan for 5-10 minutes.
- Place on cooling rack and allow cookies to cool completely before icing.
- To ice cookies, open frosting and add a splash of milk. Stir well and apply to cookies. Add crushed candy cane.