Salmon…a new frontier! Recently, a friend asked for some recipes with salmon. I set off looking for something amazing. the answer…Salmon Tostadas! I love black beans, pico de gallo and corn tostadas. So off I went…I was a little concerned about proper preparation and technique for cooking salmon, but I found a great resource.
When I pulled out salmon and coleslaw mix, my husband was very suspicious. As my guinea pig, he tries everything; the good, the bad and the ‘let’s not do that again.’ I use him as a sounding board and can always tell what he thinks based on his response. A good meal usually results in silence. When he comes up for air, some typical responses are ‘I like this’ and ‘this is nice, the ____ is really good.’ Usually there is room for improvement and after more silence, we talk about improvements for next time. A bad meal gets a ‘this is interesting’ and ‘let’s not do it again.’ After which I try to figure out what went wrong. But occasionally, I get it right; really right. And the response is ‘this is amazing, this goes on the list’ and ‘when are you making this again?’
This dish takes less than 30 minutes to prepare and received a ‘this is amazing, put it on the list!’ Personally, I think the slaw makes it, just be sure to hide the package!
For 2 people:
1 – ½ lb. Salmon Filet
1 can of refried black beans
1 ½ tbsp. of butter
2 – 4 tbsp. of salsa (picante works better than chunky)
4 to 6 corn tostadas
1 ear of corn, hulled
½ red onion, diced
1 jalapeno, diced
2/3 bunch of cilantro, shredded
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
¼ bag of coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)
1 avocado, diced
4 tbsp. olive oil
1 tbsp. red wine vinegar
1 lime, juiced
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. Cajun spices (Tony Chachere)
- Heat oven to 450 degrees. Prepare fish by adding salt, onion powder and Cajun seasoning.
- Cook fish for 8 minutes then turn off the oven for 7 minutes.
- Place can of refried black beans, butter and salsa in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Stir occasionally and turn to low once butter has melted.
- While fish is cooking, hull 1 ear of corn.
- Add corn, tomatoes, cilantro, jalapeno and cabbage in a medium bowl and mix well.
- In a small bowl combine oil, vinegar, lime juice and spices. Stir well. Pour over cabbage mixture and mix well.
- To prepare, spread black beans over a tostada. Add pieces of salmon and slaw. Enjoy!