Some days are better than others. This week has been just dreadful…stuck inside waiting for the cable/internet repair guy (who never came) on Monday and being forced out by 8 hours of fire alarm testing with a dog in 95 degree heat on Tuesday. But some days, like this morning, are just great. I met up with a friend from my college years when I was a member of the Miss Texas Organization. Veena, a former Miss California, and I had met in 2006 during her brief stint in Austin. We hit it off immediately, but life pressed on and she moved back to Cali, got married and had a baby. I moved, got married and moved again…and again – Houston, Chicago, Houston, Chicago and now northern California. While the thought of driving 45 miles during the middle of morning rush hour didn’t thrill me, I was really glad I made the effort. The coffee was good, the baby was cute and the conversation was amazing. Never discount the value of good girl talk! So two hours later, the baby’s class was starting (yes, they have classes for 7 month old’s) and my parking meter was about to expire so we parted company and promised to do it again soon.
This experience reminded me of my last great girl gab fest. It was a Friday night, my husband was flying back from Austin. Wanting to surprise him, I decided to make cupcakes. With a new recipe and a mojito in hand, one of my best girlfriends from Texas called. Several hours and a ton of stories later…well, let’s just say fun was had by all. And while they may not be the prettiest cupcakes ever, they certainly were tasty.
The recipe for the cupcakes came from a class I took in Chicago from I Wish…Lessons (thank you Goldstar), but the frosting recipe was made up on the fly…feel free to adjust the Kahlua and Bailey’s based on preference.
Divinely Moist Chocolate Cupcakes
¾ cup of unsweetened cocoa powder
1 ½ cup of all-purpose flour
1 ½ cup of sugar
1 ½ tsp. of baking powder
¾ tsp. baking powder
½ tsp. salt
¾ cup of water
¾ cup of non-fat milk
3 tbsp. olive oil
2 tsp. vanilla
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, softened
2 shots of Kahlua
1 shot of Bailey’s Irish Cream
Instructions for Cupcakes:
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan with liners or spray with non-stick spray.
- In a large bowl sift together cocoa powder, flour, baking soda and baking powder. Add salt and sugar, stir.
- Add eggs, water, milk, oil and vanilla to the dry ingredients and mix on low speed for 1 minute. Beat an additional 2 – 3 minutes on medium speed or until well mixed. Be sure to scrape the sides and bottom with a spatula to ensure the batter is well mixed.
- Fill muffin cups 2/3 full. Bake at 350 degrees for 18 – 23 minutes. Toothpick should come out mostly clean when done.
- Remove cupcakes from pan and allow to completely cool before frosting.
Instructions for Frosting:
- In a medium bowl, mix butter, Kahlua and Bailey’s for 45 – 60 seconds on low speed.
- Begin adding powdered sugar 1 cup at a time on low speed. Be sure to scrape the sides to ensure that there are no clumps. Once mixed bring to high speed and beat for 3 – 5 minutes or until light and fluffy.
- Frost cupcakes once cool and enjoy!