Sundays are for church, sports and cooking a big pot of soup. You know, the kind you can eat for two or three days.
According to The Soup Recipe Site, there are 5 main types of soup: broth, cream soup, bisque, chowder and puree. Broth soup is made from a clear stock and is the base for popular soups like chicken noodle and vegetable. Cream soup is milk based and often combined with potatoes or corn. It can be used as a side or in casseroles. Bisque and Chowders are both seafood based soups made with heavy cream. The best known ones are seafood bisque and clam chowder. I make a mean New England clam chowder! The last type, puree, is where vegetables are boiled and then blended in a food processor. This is the type I am least familiar with…well making it anyway.
Chicken tortilla soup is broth based and chocked full of veggies and flavor. As a child, my mom would often have this cooking on the stove when I came home from school. There’s nothing like cool wind coming through open windows and the smell of a pot of chicken and vegetables boiling on the stove. Don’t think you can finish the pot? This soup freezes really well. I recommend using a Gladware container to freeze single servings (about 2-1/2 cups per serving) for ready-made meals. If you need to store multiple servings, Ziploc bags work equally well, and you can store them flat in your freezer.
3 large chicken breasts (between 2.5 – 3 lb.)
4 cups of chicken broth
4 cups of water
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 medium zucchinis, chopped
1 serrano pepper, thinly sliced (optional)
1 can of corn, drained
1 can of black beans, drained
2 cans of petite diced tomatoes
1 can of tomatoes and green chilies (used Rotel)
2 – 3 tbsp. chili powder
2 – 3 tsp. cumin
Salt and pepper
½ bunch of cilantro, chopped
1 lime, quartered
Tortilla Chips, crushed
Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Put 2 cups of water and chicken broth in a large stew pan over high heat. Bring to boil and add chicken. Cook chicken for 20 – 25 minutes or until no longer pink.
- Remove chicken and shred. Set aside.
- Put onion, garlic, zucchini and seasonings in the broth and boil for 5 minutes.
- Add chicken, corn, black beans, tomatoes and green chilies to the pot of vegetables.
- Add remaining broth and water, bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add cilantro and simmer for 15 additional minutes.