Most genius comes from lots of hard work and a bit of trial and error. Sometimes, however, genius is much easier to come by…like the back of a can of enchilada sauce. Well a can of enchilada sauce and a little experience from failed enchilada attempts.
My previous attempts at enchiladas have been filled with trying to fry corn tortillas and filling them only to have them fall apart when rolling. Another incident had a successful roll but fell apart when moving to the plate. Since my husband loves enchiladas so much, I try again.
This recipe from the can calls for ground lean beef, I prefer turkey. It measures out the sauce and the cheese, I go by sight. The biggest difference is that it uses flour instead of corn tortillas, genius! This is an easy half hour main course that goes great with 20 minute Spanish brown rice, refried black beans and a margarita.
1 lb. ground turkey
½ medium onion, diced
2 cans of Old El Paso Enchilada sauce, any flavor (used 1 medium and 1 hot)
1 ½ cups of shredded Mexican style cheese
8 medium size flour tortillas
Salt and Pepper
- Heat oven to 375 degrees. Grease 9 x 13 pan.
- Over medium-high heat, sauté onions until soft.
- Add ground turkey and spices. Use at least 1 tbsp. chili powder, 1 tsp. garlic powder and ½ tsp. salt and pepper. Prepare like traditional taco meat.
- Add 1 can of enchilada sauce. If using 2 types, use the hotter sauce for the filling. Add at least 1 cup of shredded cheese. Stir until well mixed and cheese is fully melted.
- Put a tortilla in the bottom of the greased pan. Spoon 2 heapfuls of meat filling onto the tortilla and spread in a line down the center.
- Roll tortilla tightly and place at one end of the pan with the seam side down. Repeat for the remaining 7 tortillas.
- Pour 1 can of enchilada sauce on top and spread across all enchiladas. Sprinkle with at least a ½ cup of shredded cheese.
- Bake 15 minutes or until cheese melts and enchiladas are hot.
Bonus recipe – Spanish Brown Rice
2 cups of 10 minute Instant Brown Rice
1 can of Rotel Tomatoes and Green Chilis
1 small can of tomato sauce
1 small can of water
- Over medium heat combine Rotel, tomato sauce and water for 3-5 minutes. Hint: Use tomato sauce can as container for water.
- Add rice and stir occasionally for 15 minutes.
- Let stand for 5 minutes, fluff and serve.