Growing up in Texas, summers were hot. But they also meant no school, light until 9 pm and lots of BBQ. With the recent warm weather here in northern California, I’ve been thinking spending a lot of time out by the pool, looking for watermelon and dreaming about my dad’s charcoal barbeque. Many evenings you could find him cooking burgers, chicken or my favorite sausage while mom was inside making corn on the cob and light and tangy summer squash.
So Dad and the charcoal have been switched for my husband and a gas grill.
This easy, healthy side has made the ‘Approved Veggie Dish List’ for my husband, he’s more of a meat and potatoes guy, and will be part of many meals during the next few months.
Thanks Mom for the recipe and Happy Mother’s Day Ya’ll!
1 medium/large onion
2 – 3 medium sized yellow summer squash, also called straight neck squash
3 – 4 medium sized zucchini squash
¼ – ½ of a bottle of Kraft Italian Vinaigrette with EVOO or Zesty Italian Free Dressing
1 cup of water
- Slice onion in ¼” rings. Cut rings in half.
- Slice yellow squash and zucchini in thin rings.
- Sauté onion in olive oil for 5 minutes over medium-high heat in a large wok style pan.
- Add squash to onions, stir and place lid for 5 minutes.
- Add ¼ of the bottle of dressing and water. Stir until well mixed. Replace lid and simmer for 10 – 15 minutes.
- After 10 minutes stir the squash. It should smell fragrant and be starting to get soft. Add additional dressing and simmer until soft. Serve with your favorite barbeque, corn or potato salad. Personally I like to eat it by itself!