Birthdays can be a proverbial land mine. All women have grand ideas about what a perfect birthday looks like yet most of them will barely even give gift ideas. The day comes and you’ve made reservations maybe bought a gift or two and the night ends with her mad or crying and you wondering “what happened?”
So let’s start to with the basics.
- Flowers. Flowers are always appropriate on birthdays, anniversaries, valentine’s day or anytime you may have messed up. I know after a while that can get expensive so feel free to drop the flower hint with her parents, siblings or close friends. While you don’t necessarily have to buy them, you do need to make sure she gets some.
- Bubbles. Nothing says celebration like a bottle of champagne. It’s good to keep a bottle of your favorite bubbly on hand for occasions like birthdays, anniversaries, holidays or when a good night turns into great night. Following me? Personally, I like Chandon Extra Dry Riche otherwise known as California Sunshine (light and fruity) and Flat Creek Sparkling Almond (a little sweeter, good for novice drinkers). Always make sure you serve it cold and in something pretty. But we’ll get to that in a minute.
- Cake. Birthdays need cake. As a kid one of my favorite things was to bring cupcakes to school on my birthday. Also, cake goes really well with champagne. They even have a specific type, birthday cake. Just do it.
- Presents. Doesn’t have to be many or big elaborate gifts but they should be nice and personal. If you’re married, pick something off the registry like a champagne flute to use during the celebration or a piece of china. If you’re not married or already have everything, pick her favorite designer and get something or a coupon for her to go pick. You can always plan a trip say to the beach and get her a new beach towel. Most important is that it’s focused on her, and it’s something she actually wants. Coach purse cleaner does not count!
- Crawfish! All right so maybe not every girl wants crawfish but most southern girls born during the months of March to June have a strong affinity. Every year for the last 17 years I’ve had boiled crawfish on my birthday. This year was no exception and being in NorCal that is quite an accomplishment. While their Rajun Cajun spices were wrong, those 2 lb. of mudbugs never tasted so good.
See I had resolved that crawfish were not going to be a reality given where we live, San Jose, CA. But much to my surprise one restaurant, The Boiling Crab, had it. Not only crawfish but they also had Dungeness crab from Alaska, lobster from main and king crab from the Arctic. They also had three seasonings and 4 heat levels to choose from. Oh and the Cajun fries were awesome!
Bottom line her birthday is all about HER! Every lady is a princess, especially those from the south. So next time around be sure to grab some flowers, bubbles, cake and be ready to treat her like royalty. Because that’s what gentlemen should do and trust me a happy birthday girl is totally worth the effort!