I have a habit that can either be brilliant or a total disaster. Here’s the drill.
I’m hungry, what’s in the fridge? Pull out 3 items.
What can I make with this? Time to google the ingredients.
Scan the search results. No, no, no – aha!
That sounds good. Click the link.
That looks good but I don’t have X ingredient…Next!
That’s an interesting spice…After three or four more iterations, I HAVE A PLAN.
Sometimes these plans go horribly wrong – like anise seed dressing (so bitter) or chili powder in frosting (don’t ask!).
I just love when my husband gets to take his morning calls from home. It gives me a chance to make breakfast, almost like another weekend morning. But what should I make? Check the fridge…
Today’s ingredients: Ham (leftover from Easter), Cheese (Cheddar and Mozzarella), Eggs
– Ham and Cheese Egg Casserole – Perfect! I can get it ready and do my Monday morning cleaning while it’s baking. Here goes…
½ medium onion, chopped
1-2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 small can or ½ cup chopped mushrooms
1 cup diced ham
Shredded mozzarella and cheddar cheese
6-8 large eggs
Splash of milk
Salt and Pepper, to taste
1 tbsp. Thyme
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Grease 8×8 in. glass pan (need to see through to test for doneness).
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until soft, about 5 minutes. Add mushrooms and sauté for 5 additional minutes. Move into greased pan.
- Dice cooked ham into small cubes and add to pan.
- Sprinkle mozzarella and cheddar cheese over ham mixture. About ½ cup each.
- Crack eggs into a bowl, season with salt, pepper, thyme and milk. Remember only 1 splash! Anymore and it will take longer to bake. Whisk until well mixed.
- Pour eggs over ham mixture. Use a fork to mix and ensure the egg gets to the bottom of the pan. Add shredded cheddar to the top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 30-35 minutes. Casserole should be firm to the touch and no liquid remains on the sides. Serve with toast and coffee.